2015-05-25

Vinyl heard once again, and now ready for sale

I've had a small library of LP recordings sitting around for that day when I would again have an audiophile setup. Remember those days long gone? An RCA Vicotr phonograph wasn't enough. Nor just a good turntable, since its output couldn't be fed directly to any speakers. No, you needed a pre-amplifier, which fed into an amplifier (or tuner, if you wanted to listen well to radio broadcasts too), which in turn connected to those pieces of furnture that produced BIG sound. And collected vases, books, sometimes drinks (sometimes on coasters).

For 34 years the LPs have stood there, waiting for that day I would again visit the antique technology. Collecting dust. Perhaps mildewing, never to be heard again in glory. Now we're diminishing our householdings. Going through memorabilia, tossing the chaf from thick binders of lecture notes, reminding ourselves of our past appearance in snapshots long forgotten, listing unwanted books for sale on our Amazon storefront, donating the less valuable books to our local book fair that benefits Planned Parenthood, placing many belongings in garage sales.

In the "many hours of free time," I've decided to digitize a good portion of my LP library. I acquired a good turntable, connected to a converter to USB input, and monitor the resulting WAV files in transfer software. It's time consuming because of three parts of the activity:

  • Recording the LP in real time. There's no alternative, no shortcut to playing the recording on the turntable. If the record is in lousy shape, I can decide to end the recording in the middle of things. (My house was hit by a tornado when I lived in Kansas, and I tried to salvage many LPs from the debris. Some survived well. Others...well, I wasn't so lucky.)
  • Dutifully listing in my database the composer, performer, and track titles. I admit to being obsessive-compulsive here!
  • Photographing the covers and any text inserts. (This portion takes the least time, with my camera on a tripod, a stable frame for the album position, and even lighting from studio lamps. The digital photos are detailed and sharp, much better than any existing images on Amazon.com or other sites that sell CDs.)
Occasionally, as time allows, I'll enter a few comments about the music I'm rediscovering. My collection is wide-ranging, but a primary component is classical music of the late 20th Century. For example, the latest LPs I've offered for sale on Amazon:


The future listening excites me, returning to music that formed my tastes when I was in my 20s.

No comments:

Post a Comment